Pallets Off — The common mistakes you need to avoid for a secure and safe gun safe pallet removal!
Almost every gun safe manufacturer bolts their safes to a pallet so it doesn’t trip during transit.
However, removing a pallet must be executed properly to prevent any unwanted damage done to your gun safe.
If you don’t want to waste money by improperly removing or using different pallets from your gun safe, read through these crucial tips.
You’ll know exactly how to remove a pallet from your gun safe without damaging it.
Benefits of Using Pallets in Gun Safes
Pallets provide numerous benefits when used in gun safes, from ensuring safe storage to protecting the safe.
Let’s explore the benefits of using pallets in gun safes and how they can improve your gun safe’s functionality and safety.
1. Protection from Moisture
Moisture brings mold and, sometimes, the corrosion or deterioration of specific materials.
Pallets can protect firearms from environmental factors from potentially damaging them by elevating your gun safe using pallets.
2. Added Layer of Security
Depending on your pallet’s design and size, it can add an extra layer of security to your gun safe. They are a great choice to protect your gun safe.
With a pallet, your gun safe will be bolted onto them to prevent them from falling or getting knocked up during transport.
3. Better Protection for Temperature-Sensitive Products
A gun safe must never be stored in high humidity or heat areas. When your gun safe is on a pallet, it allows air passage from the bottom of your gun safe.
Essential Tools for Safe and Effective Removal of Pallets from Gun Safes
Removing pallets from gun safes can be challenging, and it can be safe and efficient with the right tools.
Therefore, it is important to have the essential tools to safely and effectively remove pallets from gun safes.
Here are the tools for removing pallets from gun safes and how they can make the process easier, safer, and more efficient.
1. Protective Gear: Before starting any of the processes, you must protect yourself from injuries. Protective gear such as gloves and safety glasses are essential to avoid hazards during pallet removal.
2. Pallet Jack or Hand Truck: These tools lift and move your pallet from the gun safe. The pallet jack is used for heavy loads, while the hand truck is for lighter ones.
3. Wrenches or Pliers: You’ll need these tools to remove the bolts and screws securing your gun safe to the pallet. While you’re doing this, remember to wear your protective gloves.
4. Lifting Straps or Harnesses: These are long, durable straps fastened to a cart or any material that needs to be pulled with much force. They are mostly made up of nylon or leather and don’t snap.
5. Ratchet Straps: These straps will help secure your pallet during the removal process. This helps prevent your weight from shifting or tipping over.
6. Pry Bar: These are useful to help remove stuck pallets. The pry bar takes pallets apart without even breaking them.
7. Hammer: You can use a hammer to remove any nails or fasteners holding the pallet in place. Use the back of your hammer to remove the nails individually.
8. Dolly or a Cart: The dolly or cart will be used once the gun safe has been removed from the pallet. This transports the pallet and places it away from the dolly.
The Dos of Removing a Pallet from Your Gun Safe
Before removing a pallet from your gun safe, it is important to understand the dos and don’ts of the process.
This will help ensure a smooth and safe removal of the pallet without causing any damage to your guns or the safe itself.
This section will outline the dos of removing a pallet from your gun safe, which will help you prepare for a successful and stress-free pallet removal process.
1. Have a plan.
You must know where to place the pallet once it’s removed since they often come in sizes that take up a significant amount of space.
Depending on the material the pallet is made up of, you can reuse it and create a furniture.
2. Use proper lifting techniques and equipment.
The best results come from using appropriate lifting techniques in carrying the gun safe off the pallet.
However, knowing that a gun safe can weigh around 600-100 lbs., it’s unlikely that you can lift it with both hands. Seek help when moving around a safe, or hire a professional moving company.
3. Remove shelves and anything inside your gun safe.
You will need to move and tilt your gun safe a lot when you remove the bolt attaching your gun safe to your screw. Thus, if there are shelves on your gun safe, this could be damaged.
4. Follow the manufacturer’s instructions for removing the pallet.
If there’s anyone who knows better about how you can properly and safely remove the pallet without damaging your gun safe, it’s the manufacturer.
The manufacturer will always leave out additional instructions regarding proper and safe pallet removal.
5. Inspect the Stability of the Harnesses and Ratchet.
To avoid any injuries or damages done to your gun safe, inspect the stability of the straps attached to it.
When you inspect these parts, you can remove your pallet effectively from your gun safe.
The Don’ts of Removing a Pallet from Your Gun Safe
In addition to the dos, there are also several don’ts that you should be aware of when removing a pallet from your gun safe.
These don’ts will help you avoid potential hazards and prevent damage to your firearms and gun safe.
Let’s discuss the important don’ts of removing a pallet from your gun safe, which will ensure a safe and successful pallet removal process.
1. Don’t rush the process.
Taking shortcuts is a big no when removing the pallet from your gun safe.
If you rush it, accidents resulting in injuries and damages are bound to happen.
2. Don’t force the pallet out of the gun safe.
Forcing the pallet out of the gun safe can damage both of them. Thus, always remember to unscrew or remove the bolts that attach your gun safely to your pallet before lifting them off.
Don’t use a forklift or other heavy machinery to remove the pallet.
Your gun safe, although heavy, must never be exposed to material that may damage it. Always unbolt everything and avoid lifting your gun safe off the pallet using a forklift.
3. Don’t use improper tools.
Using improper tools can damage your firearms, the pallet, or the gun safe. Ensure you use the right tools for the job, and avoid using improvised tools that may cause damage.
4. Pay attention to safety measures.
Safety should always be a top priority when handling firearms and gun safes. Make sure you wear protective gear and follow safety guidelines to prevent accidents.
5. Don’t stack pallets too high.
Stacking pallets too high can increase the risk of toppling over and causing damage to the guns or the gun safe.
Keep the pallets at a reasonable height to ensure stability and safety.
Removing a pallet from a gun safe requires planning, the proper equipment, and safety procedures in terms of lifting to avoid any injuries and damages done to your gun safe.
Also, always follow the manufacturer’s instructions regarding pallet removal since they’re highly knowledgeable about its safety procedures.
By following these safety tips and being careful with the process, you can safely remove your pallet from your gun safe and avoid injuries or accidents.
Can I remove a pallet from my gun safe alone?
Removing your gun safe from a pallet alone is highly not advisable. Having at least two to three people do this is recommended to avoid succumbing to injuries or accidents.
What protective gear should I wear when removing a pallet from my gun safe?
Protective gloves, safety glasses, steel-toed boots, and earplugs or muffs are highly suggested when you remove a gun safe from your pallet. This avoids burns, bruises, or injury to your hand after exposure to sharp tools.
How do I secure the gun safe before attempting to remove the pallet?
Secure the gun safe by emptying it and using a dolly or hand truck to move it without causing any damage.
Can I reuse the same pallet in my gun safe after removing it?
Yes, you can reuse the same pallet in your gun safe after removing it, as long as it is still in good condition and does not risk damaging your gun safe.
help2move. “REMOVE GUN SAFE PALLET – GUN SAFE DELIVERY – GUN SAFE PALLET REMOVAL.” YouTube, 27 Apr. 2017, www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jb9AkcUW48k.
Safe and Vault Store.com. “How to: Move a Safe and Remove From a Pallet.” Safe and Vault Store.com, www.safeandvaultstore.com/pages/how-to-move-a-safe-remove-from-a-pallet.
BraceAbility. “7 Techniques for Lifting Heavy Objects without Hurting Your Back.” BraceAbility, www.braceability.com/blogs/articles/7-proper-heavy-lifting-techniques.